Thursday, March 8, 2018

It started with a quick trip to Chicago, all by myself. I was planning on meeting up with a cousin and his wife, but the night before leaving I got a text saying they forgot they had something else to do that day, and they would be too tired to host me.

It was a long time ago when texts cost $0.50 each on my phone plan, which is why I never sent or received texts. So the first text I ever received was one blowing me off! Phone plans would evolve, and people would devolve, and text would become the medium of choice to cowardly beg off from all manner of dates, events, and relationships.

I decided to just go anyway and get a hotel or drive back that night. I knew that I'd be doing a lot of walking so I wore comfortable shoes and pants and didn't bother with make up. I looked like crap and super tired, my photos would later reveal. I remember at "The Bean" was the first time I ever saw someone do a selfie--with a camera. She was expert--just held it up and click in the blink. She looked really great. Tall, make up, hair, uncomfortable clothing. Very cool. I tried this thing that is now known as a selfie but that didn't have a name back then, and managed to get my eyebrow and half my forehead. Not so cool. Wonder if that chick on is on Instagram now with two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment