Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Day Dream Rock N Roll Believer

It's cold but it's not snowing. The sun came out for the first time in weeks today, just an hour so before it was due to set. It was time for Spinning class, but I skipped it to take my dog for an early winter's walk under a streaky grey, pink, and purple sky. I just felt like being outside! We walked about three miles, when it occurred to me to attempt to walk a thousand miles next year. That's less than three miles everyday. I realized I already do that. But for some reason, I felt like I want to track my miles next year. So I will.

I put my iPod on shuffle, and for some reason, I hit repeat when "Night Moves" came on. I imagined singing it as a duet at a tiny bar with a handsome guitar player with whom I'd had a romantic history. Then I played it again and kept that little rock fantasy going. Of course I pictured myself playing guitar and looking pretty tough, too, not some coiffed up glam girl. Just a tank top, some simple jewelry, some well worn and well fitting jeans, a big belt, motorcycle boots, and my Takemine...and not slung low, thank you very much. That would be my trademark. The rocker who holds her guitar up high like those folk singers from the Fifties did. But when the song is over, I'd un-sling it of course and take my bow and do a jig, never taking myself too seriously, and always being slightly more comfortable just this side of the spotlight.

Even as a kid that song got me. I had no idea what he was talking about, but I loved the background singers, his energy, and those quiet questioning parts of the song--"longing" I guess you'd call it. I didn't know the word longing then, but I did always lean in a bit when he was "waiting on the thunder." I would picture him sleeping in his bed, then bolting upright as if he had heard something. And then just...waiting, heart pounding. And the thunder never coming.

Now I know that he did not hear something. Chances are, he thought something, and sometimes thoughts can do that to us: shaking ourselves awake, asking ourselves "Did you hear that?" 

I've been keeping late nights lately, which are making my early mornings quite unbearable. What is keeping me up at night?

Thoughts!

Thoughts of possibility. 

Thoughts of happiness.

Thoughts of resolution.

Good things are keeping me up nights, and what a welcome change that is. I had a few years where it was just the opposite. Bad things. Worries. Regrets. Fears. Profound sadness. Sleepless nights and puffy-eyed mornings. I had a couple years of finally falling asleep easily as I fell into my own, on my own, after a pleasant day on my own. The thing I remember about those days was trying just a little too hard. That's okay. Fake it til you make it, baby. That had its own special feeling of hope. And the past couple of years, I've had the easy sleep that comes when you're in love and loved back. 

But lately, I'm awake. Not in a crisis state like in U2's "Wide Awake" awake. (Damn! I love that song!) Not in that "'I just finished the first draft of my script!' jubilation of accomplishment" awake.

No, this is a Hopeful Awake.

And I'm not sure I've ever been here before. 

Specifically, there is not one single thing that is giving me hope. Not one single thing on the horizon that keeps me moving, walking, staying the course.

I've not been feeling hopeless, so it's not like I've been searching for Hope.

I have been feeling a bit confused, however.

I think it's not hope. I think it goes a step further.

I think it's trust.

I have a trust that things are going to be pretty darned good for me, and that my life is going to look pretty darned good to me.

And I have absolutely no proof of this!

It makes me want to stay up all night and write and express myself. 

It makes me want to add to that list I wrote a couple of weeks ago--my 2013 journey list.

(I added the following while jamming out and living my Rock N Roll Dreams.)

  • See Joan Jett in concert!!!!

And I think I'm going to attempt to write a good rock song, not a slow, sad song, which would come much more naturally to me. But a fun song. It might be about sad news, but it's going to be funny and upbeat.

Here's how I'm going to work on that.

I'm going to listen to more good rock and surround myself with those who would rock.

Leela James got me thinking this on my walk. Leela. Leela and her beautiful afro.

Gonna change the lyrics of "Layla" (Yes! I love that song too!)  to Leela.

Other things that kept me up all night. Last night I couldn't sleep, so I watched a movie on Netflix--one from the vault because "latest and greatest" has just never been in my repertoire. "Running with Scissors." It was a memoir, pretty good, and I loved the 70s stuff. I think there was one montage too many but at least they chose good songs--"Year of the Cat" and "Blinded by the Light." I didn't think it was great, but it does make me want to read the book.

Books. Books are also keeping me up late nights. I'm reading "Getting Stoned with the Savages," a travel narrative by J. Marteen Troost. 

Blogs. Blogs are keeping me up nights. I'm finding blogs I really like, even if they aren't really that good. They're just so honest and even mundane at times, but in them, I get to glimpse into real lives, and I love it so much. I love reading about someone's Sunday and how they went to church, even though I myself am a reasonably convinced agnostic. I love reading about the snowball fight they had with their kids, even though I don't have kids. I love reading about how they hate the potholes in their streets, and how they fell in a slush puddle on their way to the office. And I love it when the next thing I know, they are lighting their grill for the first time and having a cookout, and I can actually smell it and feel the excitement of the coming spring, that first time you stand out on your deck and it's not pitch black, and the buds are just starting peek out, and you have this whole dream of summer before you, just this close. 

And I get really tempted to write blogs like that, just little snapshots of every day life, all those days that accumulate to make our life.

So I'm going to start doing that, making it part of my Journey In Place. Sometimes my theme won't be so evident. Sometimes I will not attempt to say anything astounding.

Sometimes I will just tell the plain truth, in all its magnificence and irrelevance:

Today I went to the post office and mailed off my sister's (and my niece and nephews') presents, and it felt great to learn that it would make it there by Christmas. It was a slow day at work. I finally got migrated to the new email/IM system and casually chatted with some colleagues I haven't seen in a while, and remembered just how nice it is to get along with people at work and know just a little bit about their lives. I talked on the phone at length with a guy who wants to rent my performance/rehearsal space for a few days before an upcoming gig and just really enjoyed it! Just one of those people you get along with immediately. He's an engineer by day, and lives in a cabin in the woods, was once struck by lightning and loves rock n roll! I don't usually like cover bands, but this guy has a great bluesy voice. I think I might have made a  new friend, and he goes by the name "Shock," on account of the lightning incident. I talked on the phone with a friend whom I haven't seen in a while. I made lunch plans with another friend. I looked up some things about traveling to Alaska. I listened to some country music: Lady Antebellum. I took my dog on an early winter sundown walk instead of going to Spinning. Later I saw a pic of a woman with really fit legs and wondered if I should have Spun. Nope! I made grilled cheese (provolone and sharp cheddar) and roasted pepper and tomato soup for dinner. And I dreamed of playing rock n roll in a tiny bar with tiny twinkling lights and a lively crowd.

Today was  a good day. Doesn't seem like it would be one for the books, but I'm writing about it anyway. I can't wait for the good stuff. I might miss it if I keep deciding it's not good enough to write about. I feel the lightning, but I'm not waiting on that thunder.




No comments:

Post a Comment