Monday, March 4, 2013

Mixed Media

What I'm reading:

"The Blue Kind," by Katherine Born.

Never heard of this book. It was on the new arrivals shelf at the library.

I guess it's sort of sci-fi in that it takes place in the future, but it's about the characters and how they deal with their harsh circumstances, kind of like "How I Live Now," and "Cowboy Feng's Space Bar & Grill."

I'm loving this book. It unlocked a door in me. And I get to take drugs, sort of, I guess, something I never did much in life.




What I'm jamming:

The Vancouver scene, including Hannah Georgas.



I caught her concert last month. Brings back some of those sad detached melodies from the 80s alternative music, back when it was actually alternative.


What I'm digging:



Poet/Spoken Word author Shane Koyczan (thanks to my poetry loving friend!)

"Remember how we forgot?"


How I'm feeling (sometimes):

Daniel Johnston's "Devil Town" performed by Tony Lucca.





I was living in a devil town; didn't know it was a devil town; oh lord it really brings me down about the devil town. All my friends were vampires; didn't know they were vampires; turns out I was a vampire myself, in the devil town.

Really simple writing, powerful words, and great chords. It can happen.


What I'm writing:

A vignette tentatively called "Carly & Lonnie" for my bigger play, title TBA. A young girl visits her sister in rehab on Valentine's Day.

A poem or song tentatively themed "Falling out of Step." --with others, with myself. On purpose.


Where I'm going:

Alaska, British Columbia, Seattle late summer



Breaking the theme now. I've also been drawing and photographing but nothing worth posting here, at least not yet.

I am a work in progress.

And I'm happy. Not laughing non-stop. Still somewhat foggy. But knowing. Knowing is enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment