Monday, February 17, 2020

Fourth Kind of Divine Madness


Thus far I have been speaking of the fourth and last kind of madness, which is imputed to him who, when he sees the beauty of earth, is transported with the recollection of the true beauty; he would like to fly away, but he cannot; he is like a bird fluttering and looking upward and careless of the world below; and he is therefore thought to be mad. And I have shown this of all inspirations to be the noblest and highest and the offspring of the highest to him who has or shares in it, and that he who loves the beautiful is called a lover because he partakes of it.

--Phaedrus/Plato




We've been enjoying some hikes at Eagle Creek this mild winter.




On Saturday, I figured we'd have another day of getting our "new house" organized, and I was pretty excited about it. Larry came downstairs, looked outside, and said, "Let's do something today. Let's go to Turkey Run." He probably didn't expect that I'd be up the stairs and changing into hiking clothes before he could finish his sentence. I didn't know I wanted to go hiking that day, but I'm glad I found that I did!

It was a beautiful, peaceful, snowy day in the forests, ravines, and valleys. Watching the snow gently fall in huge flakes while hearing birds singing overhead is a sound like no other. It reminds why I need to get out and enjoy the Winter. Although it's cold, and the plants are mostly covered in snow or dead, you get stillness and beauty and no crowds. We had a wonderful day together and covered a lot of ground in our boots.

Afterwards we went to a brewery nearby and then out for some pretty authentic Mexican food. It was a wonderful date!!!!






















No comments:

Post a Comment