Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A Year of the Journey: American Honey

I started this blog a year ago when I was feeling unsure about the direction my life was going. I don't claim to be psychic, but I knew something was changing in or around me, and I was feeling uneasy about it. I thought writing about it positively would help me.

It has been more of a journey than I could have expected. I didn't expect to lose my job less than halfway through the year. I didn't expect that I'd be buzzing around in a helicopter over the glaciers of Alaska or walking the streets of Vancouver or trekking the rainforest of Olympia. I didn't expect to land a dream job just a month later. I didn't expect that I'd be laid off again just three months later. I didn't expect that I'd be writing a new play. I didn't think that I'd be asked to write a book. I didn't know I would host so many fascinating and wonderful travelers in my hostel. I didn't know I would be in two really great plays. I didn't know I would become an arts and music blogger. I didn't know that I'd become a dental actor. :) I didn't know I'd lose more friends on my journey. I didn't know I'd lose my favorite singer, Jascha Is. I didn't know that I would try in earnest and find some success in loving Indiana. I didn't know that I would finally feel so at home in my home. I didn't know that I'd wear the gown of humility to so many occasions.

Last year at this time, I was riding my bike on a balmy day, and I remember feeling happy and free. I was about to see family and after that take a fabulous road trip to Cape San Blas with Larry. 

Today I woke up to snow. I'm not feeling happy or carefree, but I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving. Tomorrow I'm having a slumber party with my nieces. Friday I'll take my nieces and nephews to a movie and out for lunch. Then I'll see my grandma. Then I'll spend most of the weekend working on the book.

I think I might have been happier a year ago, if happy means carefree and secure. I'm glad I wrote it down and took pictures and took the time to commemorate it. Maybe a year from now, I'll look back and think I was very happy today.

I'm not extremely happy. But I'm not hopeless. And I can't ask for much more than that.

Here's a picture of me when I was at my happiest and hopiest. Yes, hopiest. 






Shades State Park, Indiana



Here's a song I heard tonight. If you get them to stop singing about revenge, women country singers really are the best song writers.


"American Honey" Lady Antebellum

"Southside of Lonesome" Chely Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment