Monday, April 18, 2016

I Dropped Out

Over a month ago, I left Facebook to avoid nonstop political commentary, which left me frustrated. 

I've left FB many times for various reasons--usually because I spend too much energy on what other people are doing or wondering how and if they validate me. I go back on after several months, and then I get overwhelmed and leave again. 

I also went on a no media diet at the same time--no radio, no newspapers, no TV news. I am completely out-of-the-loop on current events. 

Current events from last year until November '16 = presidential candidates calling each other liars.
Murders
Rapes
Abductions
Government corruption
Government interference:

I am aware that Pence has YET AGAIN stripped Hoosiers of rights, but this time he's after women of child-bearing age.

I don't even listen to NPR anymore. I listen to books on CD. So far:

Gangsta by Kw'aan (3 out of 5 stars)
Under Magnolia by Frances Keyes (2 out of 5 stars--quit listening on account of it being tedious)
Life Sentences by Laura Lipman (current rating: 4 out of 5 stars)

I'm happier as a drop out. I felt largely incapable of changing anything that was happening in the media. I can vote, and I will. But having all that knowledge and no power to change anything left me feeling frustrated and often angry. I have decided to eliminate those two sources of those two emotions.



No comments:

Post a Comment