Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Letter to A Friend

I've been wanting to write about my grandma and Primo. Here is a letter I wrote to a friend.




My grandma died last week. She was 99. My mom was with her when she passed. Even though it’s what my grandma wanted, it came on the heels of my Aunt Gini’s unexpected demise, and I know this has been hard on my mom now that she’s the last one left in her family. Larry and I went up Friday-Monday. The memorial was Saturday, and it was the most beautiful service I’d ever attended. The pastor created a wonderful narrative of stories about Adallae weaved in with her favorite Bible passages and hymns. He kept calling her a spitfire. She would have loved it.

The church put on a really nice luncheon in the basement afterwards. They opened the game room for the kids so they could have fun while the adults talked. My mom created a beautiful table of photographs, letters, quilts, and memorabilia—even her wedding dress and veil.

For someone who outlived seven siblings and two husbands and most of her friends, she sure had a lot of loved ones and friends at the memorial. I looked around at all the faces and wondered if I have that many friends. The church offered so much comfort to all. Sometimes small towns get life just right. This was one of those times.

Sunday my brother invited Larry and I to go hiking through the dunes with his family, and my mom decided to join! She rallied and climbed steep sand dunes, so determined. I could see that she was relishing life and moments, and I was so proud of her. We kept telling her, “Mom, the dunes are going to get really steep,” but she was stubborn and came up anyway. Yes, she almost passed out from exertion, but she says it was totally worth the view.

I thought of how many times we’ve trekked those dunes, ever since the 60s, and my mom and dad probably hiked them in the 40s. In the winter, we would go sledding. As a teenager, I joined friends that meant the world to me on summer nights after work. As an adult, walking the dunes was therapy for me. Once I got past all the depression fallout, they became a source of inspiration. Sharing it with Larry, my mom, my brother and SIL, and my nieces and nephews surpassed all the other times I hiked there.

This next part is not good. Monday brought an unexpected tragedy. Primo passed away while we were in Michigan. He’s been struggling lately. His rear hips have been giving him trouble, and his mind was slipping. He has been refusing food for a while now, and the lack of nutrition caused a skin problem. The vet gave him a steroid shot and some meds. He rallied. I’ve been cooking fish and meats for him just to get some fat on him. The vet said that once he re-gained some weight, he’d get his strength back. Two weeks ago, he was climbing steep hills and jumping fallen trees at Eagle Creek, and it was a wonderful day.

I think the car trip to MI was too much on him. He’s had a couple of episodes in the car lately, and then his mind plays all kinds of trick on him. He wasn’t really right all weekend, but by Sunday, we were back to taking two walks per day, and I got him to eat an entire meal the day before.  He even played with a neighbor dog briefly. But Sunday he wouldn’t eat. He also wouldn’t sit or lay down, and I’m pretty sure it’s because he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to get up. He was so exhausted. I finally got him to lay down Sunday night, and I really started to worry about him. I decided I would just have to work harder at finding foods he liked. I wouldn’t mind at all. I knew he didn’t have years left, and I wanted to give him whatever he wanted. But around 4 a.m., I heard him yelping. He couldn’t get up. He had gone BM and it was everywhere, from scrambling to try to get up. Larry and I had both seen him in this condition before, and at that moment, I knew that he could no longer be left alone.

Larry took him outside while I cleaned up inside. I went to check on him, and Primo was lying in a shallow mud puddle. Larry said he kind of collapsed there. He was sleeping deeply and looked peaceful. But I knew then that he was ready to go. He was exhausted. He was scared. I looked up in the sky and I saw Orion’s belt overhead, which I know means nothing, but it was so clear and beautiful. After a while, we decided to move him into the garage so he wouldn’t get cold. I got him to eat some roast beef, and he was walking around, and for a minute I thought that it was just an episode. We brought his bed out, and eventually he laid down. I got him some blankets, and he slept soundly. I could tell by the way he was laying that was ready to leave us. We found a vet who would come to the house so that his last moments wouldn’t be traumatic from having to be loaded into a car. I layed next to him for hours, and he stayed awake with me while I petted his head, and I knew I was doing the right thing.

He went very quickly, maybe 15 seconds. The vet assured us that he was ready. The vet and her assistant were competent and compassionate, just who you would want to trust in such a situation.

It’s been hard ever since. I didn’t want to have a breakdown at my parent’s house, just two days after my grandma’s funeral. I kept trying to hold it in. We drove home yesterday, and loading the car with Primo’s stuff but no Primo was heartbreaking. We entered the house, and the first thing we see is the biscuit he refused to eat before we all left for Michigan. Larry broke down and wept, and the night pretty much went like that.  

When I picture us doing the things we loved—relaxing in the back yard, making his morning and nightly meals, walking through the neighborhood, playing with his toys, I start crying. When I remember how he looked in that mud puddle, I feel relief. But I miss him so much and just want to talk to him and ask him if he’s okay with my decision. Larry said that he was so loyal that he might have rallied several more months, but not having a lot of quality in his life.

Now we have our trip coming up in two weeks—a place we picked specifically because it is dog friendly and because we all had such a great time there two years ago—and Primo won’t be with us. I feel terrible about thinking this, but I’m afraid it will only make me sad. Larry says we should go and celebrate him and try to heal, and I agree.

He was 16, and I had him 13-1/2 years—I know I had him more years than I should have. I am so grateful. But 13-1/2 years is the longest relationship I’ve ever had.

I hope I can share this with you. I don’t know if I’ll ever be happy again, and I know how crappy that sounds, but it’s how I feel. I don’t care about anything anymore, I mean except Larry, family, and a few close friends.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment