Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Performance Evaluation

I was thinking about the goals/plans I made for 2014, and wondered if I came close to realizing them. I found the list in a blog from a year ago:


In 2014, I will.....
Learn my camera! Take awesome pictures!
See lots of local professional theater
Hear lots of symphony
Go to an opera
Cook delectable new dishes
Have massages
Host dinner parties
Work on my shabby chic urban prairie projects
Ride my bike across Mackinac Bridge with my love
Laugh with my nieces and nephews
Paint my kitchen cabinets
Plant a garden
Strum
Sing
Dance
Ski
Ice Skate
Travel
Read amazing books
Write good books
Write a fantastic play
Let go of all that shit
Learn new shit

Results:
Learn my camera! Take awesome pictures!
See lots of local professional theater
Hear lots of some symphony
Go to an opera a ballet
Cook delectable new dishes
Have massages
Host dinner parties
Work on my shabby chic urban prairie projects
Ride my bike across Mackinac Bridge with my love 
Laugh with my nieces and nephews
Paint my kitchen cabinets
Plant a garden
Strum
Sing
Dance
Ski
Ice Skate
Travel
Read amazing books
Write good books
Write a fantastic play
Let go of all that shit
Learn new shit

Performance Grade: Pretty Darn Good

Areas for Growth Opportunities:


  • Should I just stop putting "ski" on my list? I felt the need to do that several years ago when I equated living a crazy schedule of crazy things with contentment, but here's a secret. I don't love skiing. I'm not even sure I like it. It scares the shit out of me, and I forced myself to do it, and I'm glad I went, but I am done! New goal for 2015: Do not put "Ski" on my "Goals for 2015" list.

  • It's not of vital importance that another year has passed and you have not skated on ice. What I said above.

  • You did not learn how to actually use your fancy schmancy camera and you are hereby shamed. You are now required to put it on your list for 2015, with interest penalty.

  • You really couldn't help not being able to the Mackinac Bridge thing, but don't strike it from 2015 just yet.

  • Should you consider forgetting about all that learning how to play guitar shit and learn how to be macho? 

  • Can you just admit the truth that you don't give two shits about the fucking opera?

  • You spent a the last few months of this year wondering if you should quit play writing altogether. I think you still have time to consider. Remember a few days ago in a blog you were complaining about the play Other Desert Cities because it felt like something you would write? Well, I did a little digging on the writer, and he did in fact admit that the play was what he had hoped the ill-fated show Brothers & Sisters would be, and then he explained himself. The thing is, I changed my mind about him. John Robin Baitz has a lot of interesting things to say. In fact, the play that everyone raved about here in Indy was equally esteemed on Broadway and was finalist for a Pulitzer. WTF? If he is making waves writing about things that I like to write about in a similar way (no, I'm not saying I am accomplished or talented, so just relax that huff-maker, will you?) Incidentally, I also learned that he was booted from the show a year into production--a show that ABC specifically asked him to create and be show runner. That explains why the show got so stupid after the first year.  I also learned that he did not take kindly to the booting and was pretty vocal about it. So final verdict. Good move to question yourself as a writer. For now, that is enough. If you leave, do so with sweetness for what you had, not with sourness for what you missed.


Honorable Mentions:


  • Garden! (Don't mention here that you killed said garden with fucking ORGANIC bug killer and that it really killed your mood over the second part of the summer.) Goal for 2015: Try again, and this time try Neem Oil!

  • Urban Prairie Phase 1 complete!

  • You actually painted your cupboards the last week of 2014 on a whim!

  • Best books you read in 2014: Into the Wild, Half Broke Horses, Light Between the Oceans, Little Bee, Glass Castle, Mystic River




Best Accomplishment:

  • I let go of all of that shit. 

I'm so proud of that shit that I'm going to underline that shit. I l
et go of all that shit. For 2015, you are forbidden to take on any new shit to replace this old shit.



No comments:

Post a Comment