Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Photo 365 Summer 2015-2


Lovely night at Ralf & Jim's. Wine, canapes, and dinner in the courtyard of their own Buckingham Palace, where they always treat us like royalty.



I took this picture early August 2015. I had gone to the beach after the rain, and it turned out to be the prettiest day I had ever seen at Grand Mere. I wanted to remember the day.



These are some wildflowers at Eagle Creek. They look tropical.



Growing dinner! Corn, cukes, zukes, tomatoes, lettuce, cantaloupe


We went camping at Yellow Wood. I made pie iron tacos.



Slept with rain fly open. It was a bit overcast, but very green, foggy, and peaceful.





I took lots of long hikes at Eagle Creek to prepare for our big hiking trip in Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons. One night I was hiking with my friend Monty, and we were overlooking the precipice of the reservoir when a bald eagle regally flew past us, a bass clutched in its talons. Took my breath away as I've never seen one so close...about 10 feet away. 



I ordered a backpacker's topographical map of Glacier NP. Abby helped me choose trails.


Abby says, "Take me camping!"


Larry loves putting signs on my kitty.


Getting out of order now, but here's my eye and shoulder after the bike wreck.






We had a fantastic weekend in Detroit in July, Larry's hometown. This is Greenfield Village, Henry Ford's passion project. Larry worked here one summer during college. This place was amazing. Highly recommended!








Pictures out of order, but these are some photos of the AirBnb room we rented in the fabled Brush Park neighborhood of Detroit. Lots of fun at this mansion, but no A/C, and it was the hottest weekend of the year!


Detroit Institute of Arts is among the world's top art museums. A gift to Detroit from Edsell Ford. He only asked that his name be kept a secret. They waited until he died to reveal the donor. 



The house we rented. Cool! 




Larry has a funny memory of this house near the original Tigers Stadium on Trumbull in Corktown. He was catching a bus on his way home from work, when one of the women who "hung around" this house approached him and asked him if it was his payday. He didn't realize then that he was being propositioned by a prostitute.


Urban blight is giving way to  greenways and public gardens.
Downtown Detroit was surprisingly vibrant and the people cheerful. We went to a Tigers game one night (really fun!) and a play the next next. It was called Ernie, and it was about the long-time announcer of the Tigers. No man left the theater with a dry eye. Another fun night!


On the way home from Detroit, we camped a night at Pokagon State Park. We weren't terribly impressed, but we got some practice for the big trip out west!




Various pics of Greenfield Village


First phonograph! Played a record by Thomas Edison: Mary had a little lamb.






Wright Bros Cycle shop!







We loved the Motown Museum! Larry cried! Very cool American experience! 


Fun night and fireworks at Tigers Game. We had really good seats on the first base line. I took this one from a few levels up.



Eastern Market






No comments:

Post a Comment