Monday, December 7, 2015

Three Years of JIP

I started collecting thoughts about my life and how I'm living here on Journey In Place three years ago. Since then, Journey has become a buzzword (that is bordering on cliche), so I'll just assume that all those celebrities who are "on their journey" have read and loved my blog. 

I've published 89 posts, but I really thought I'd write more. 

In those three years, I've changed jobs twice, seen the passing of my beloved Aunt Gini and Grandma and my faithful companion of 16 years, Primo. I've traveled to the Gulf of Mexico, the Gulf of Alaska, the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Bay of Fundy, and various point in-between. I starred in and produced a couple of plays. I've seen scores of professional theater, a few symphony orchestra concerts and a couple of rock concerts. I've been an arts reviewer and music reporter. I've spent time doing lots of fun things with my nieces and nephews. I've hosted over a hundred traveling artists in my hostel. I've made substantial investments in my home and "suburban prairie." I've saved a lot more money than I've spent. I've tried probably fifty new recipes. I've sustained a few injuries and a nasty parasite. I've connected with old friends. I've drifted away from some friends and am considering cutting the anchor from a few others. I've allowed myself to grow in ways that benefit me without feeling guilty of how this would affect others. I've quit social media several times. I quit drinking. (One year ago 12/5.) I've started and quit running twice (quit both times due to injury), and am starting again tonight. I've written three books. I've sent seven carloads of house crap to Goodwill. I've taken on art projects with mediocre results but loved the process. I've read scores of books. I've watched too much Netflix. I've worked at being a better partner. I took a hold of the thing that took a hold of me in 1989. I yearned for happiness and learned mindfulness. 

I've considered whether keeping this journal is worth the effort, as I often feel repetitive. 

I've decided it's always worth it to remind myself of the good times and to express myself when feeling down and out.  I've decided to do it more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment