Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A Lost Post: Normal, IN

(Started writing this when we returned from our hiking trip to Canada and Maine)


It's not easy to return to Indiana from the beautiful places we visit all over the world. Have you ever wondered why IN is not a major tourist destination? When I first moved here in the mid-nineties (having previously lived in Utah, Colorado, England, South Carolina, Arizona, and Michigan), I was underwhelmed by the natural features of this flat land. Southern Indiana has hills, and people like to call it the Little Smokeys (people who have never been to the Smokeys, no doubt) but it's just hills and trees.  Sometimes, it's not easy to return to who I am when I'm not on vacation because I question the life I am living.

To play the game of elimination and get this out of the way: I know I do not have a difficult life. I have had a difficult times in life, but right now I am feeling the rewards of good choices. I have made choices that make my life  as stress-free as possible. I have no financial debt, relationship drama, or health issues derived from poor lifestyle choices. I have been saving and investing since I was 20 years old and have never held a balance on a credit card; I have a caring and respectful partner and have significantly trimmed my "friends" list to people who challenge and care about me; I am not fitness guru, but I know enough to limit caloric intake and to exercise everyday.

I like myself more on vacation. I take risks. I escape. I see new things. I live outdoors. Everything is simple. Awaken. Eat. Hike. Eat. Hike. Eat. Read. Sleep. Do this for about 10-14 days in stunning landscapes. Have thoughtful or silly conversations with Larry. Hardly think about home or work or people back home. Just in the moment in breathtaking beauty.

Now, here's my charge. Do this in Normal, Indiana. This is a wise investment.



No comments:

Post a Comment